Preparing Your Grade Book for Banner
At the end of the term, you must transfer your final course grades from Brightspace to Banner. This resource explains how to prepare the grade book for this transfer.
Enter Grades in the Final Adjusted Grade Column
If you used the Brightspace grade book to enter and store grades throughout the semester, final grades will automatically appear in the Final Calculated Grade column. You must now manually enter the final grades in the Final Adjusted Grade column. This is the grade column that is used to transfer grades to Banner (NOT the Final Calculated Grade column).
If you did not use the Brightspace grade book to store grades throughout the semester, you must enter the final grades manually. To successfully enter final grades, follow these steps:
- In your Brightspace course, access the grades tool by clicking on Assessment and selecting Grades from the dropdown menu.
- Select Enter Grades.
- Enter your grades in the Final Adjusted Grade column (NOT the Final Calculated Grade column).
- Click Save. If you leave this page without saving, you will lose all entered data.
Note: If you need to enter a special grading code for a student (PAS/FAL/ABS/INC), please visit Transfer Special Codes to Banner below in this resource.
Enter Special Codes
Special grading codes (i.e., numeric values corresponding to Pass, Fail, Incomplete or Absent) can be entered in your Brightspace grade book and then transferred to Banner using the Grades2Banner tool. For any student that needs to receive a special code, you must enter negative grades in the Final Adjusted Grade column of the grade book according to the table below.
|Value To Enter||Grade Description||Grade Code In Banner|
Your final gradebook could look something like this:
If you prefer to enter special codes directlyin Banner rather than in Brightspace, you must delete any student’s partial grade from the Final Adjusted Grade column in the grade book and leave the box blank. Otherwise, that partial grade will be transferred and must be overridden within Banner.
Below is a summary of steps to follow:
- Enter final course grades in the Final Adjusted Grade column of the grade book in your Brightspace course.
- Enter special grade codes (negative grades corresponding to PAS/FAL/ABS/INC) according to the chart above.
- Transfer grades from Brightspace to Banner.