Guide for Preparing your Course for Remote or Online Learning
This guide provides a systematic approach to assist instructors in preparing their courses for remote or online instruction and is designed to support the use of the Brightspace Course Site Set-up Kit for Remote Instruction. It takes into consideration that some instructors may be starting from scratch, while others may have existing content to build upon. For those starting from scratch, we recommend that you use the set-up kit, as it provides a simple editable structure to get you started.
The guide is divided in two parts:
The guide is informed by Memorial’s Quality Guidelines for Course Design, Quality Matters Emergency Remote Instruction Checklist: Higher Education, Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and the works of John Biggs, L. D. Fink and Grant Wiggins & Jay McTighe.
- Bates, A.W. (2019). Teaching in a digital age (2nd ed.). Tony Bates Associates. https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/
- Biggs, J. (2014). Constructive alignment in university teaching. HERDSA Review of Education, 1, 5-22. www.herdsa.org.au/herdsa-review-higher-education-vol-1/5-22
- CAST (2018). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.2. Retrieved from http://udlguidelines.cast.org
- CAST. (n.d.) UDL On Campus: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education. http://udloncampus.cast.org/home
- Fink, L.D. (2013). Creating significant learning experiences: An integrated approach to designing college courses. Jossey-Bass.
https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.qe2a-proxy.mun.ca/lib/mun/detail.action?docID=1394307 (Note: e-book available at Memorial Library)
- Quality Matters (n.d.). Specific Review Standards from the QM Higher Education Rubric, (6th ed.). www.qualitymatters.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/Standards
(Standards used by the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL), Memorial.)
- Quality Matters (n.d.). QM Emergency Remote Instruction Checklist: Higher Education. https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRzSgvQZDAbu9iG3Cxnq3D2hlxiUZrzwVRj94MGPVDvY9
- Wiggins G., & McTighe, J. (2001). What is backward design? In Understanding by design. ASCD. www.sabes.org/sites/sabes.org/files/resources/