Granting Special Access
Instructors often receive requests from students, directly or via the Blundon Center, for “Special Access” to a quiz, timed assignment, or exam. Students may require an alternative date for completion, additional time, or more than one attempt on the quiz. This resource provides the steps required to grant a student, or students, with special access to a quiz in Brightspace. A short how to video is also provided.
- In your course, click Assessment and then Quizzes.
- Click the arrow next to the appropriate quiz and click Edit.
- Click the Restrictions tab and scroll to the bottom of the page for the Special Access section.
- Make sure the “Allow selected users special access to this quiz” button is selected (this is the default option.)
- Click the Add Users to Special Access button at the bottom of the page.
- Set the special access that you want to grant. Options include:
- Change the due date for the quiz – the system will use this information to flag the submission as late
- If availability dates and times are set, you can change them for the specified student(s):
- Change the start date and time – a link to start the quiz will be available at the new date and time
- Change the end date and time – the link will no longer be available to the student at the new date and time
- Change the amount of time that a student has to complete the quiz – check the box next to “Recommend time limit” or “Enforced time limit,” and enter a number in the “minute(s)” field.
- Change the number of possible attempts to complete the quiz – check the box next to “Override attempts allowed” and choose a number from the dropdown menu below. Then click “Apply.”
- Check the box next to the name of the student(s) who will have this special access to the quiz.
- Click the Add Special Access button at the bottom of the screen. You’ll return to the Edit Quiz page.
- Click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page.