Creating a Quiz in Brightspace
The quiz tool in Brightspace enables you to ask a variety of questions of learners. It is easy to setup, administer, and grade a quiz. Two options for creating a quiz are provided. For Option 1 you will start by creating a quiz and will add questions directly into the quiz. For Option 2 you will start by creating and organizing questions in the Question Library and, when you are creating the quiz, you will use questions from the Question Library. Option 2 is recommended as it provides better organization of questions.
Option 1: Create a Simple Quiz
Follow these steps to create and configure a quiz in your Brightspace course shell:
- Click Assessment – Quizzes – New Quiz
- On the Properties page, complete the following
- Enter the *Name for the quiz
- Add/Edit Questions (Note: you can add questions after you configure the quiz – see “Adding questions to the quiz” below )
- On the Properties page, set the optional properties for the quiz (Information is available for the following optional properties in the Quiz via the ? icon next to each property)
- Questions per page: specify the number of question to place on each page of the quiz
- Paging: prevent users from moving to a previous page
- Shuffle questions at the quiz level: randomizes the questions
- Description: enter a quiz description – shown before the user starts the quiz
- Introduction: enter an introduction to the quiz – shown when the user starts the quiz
- Page Header and/or Page Footer: shown at the top or bottom of each quiz page
- Optional Advanced Properties: select as needed
- Notification email (not recommended)
- On the Restrictions page, set the Availability, Timing and Special Access
- If you check “Hide quiz from users”, you are hiding the link to the quiz from users – you will have to “Make visible to users” prior to the Start Date and Time of the quiz
- Due Date and Time: specify the due date and time for the quiz. Quizzes submitted past this time will be flagged as submitted late
- Start Date and Time: specify when the “Start Quiz!” button is available to students; quiz question are not available until this time
- End Date and Time: specify when you want to stop students from starting a quiz; the “Start Quiz!” button is not available to students after this time
- Timing: options included “Recommended Time Limit” and “Enforced Time Limit”. For high stakes quizzes, choose “Enforced Time Limit” and enter the time limit and optional Grace Period. Additional settings will appear:
- “Allow the student to continue working”
- “Prevent the student from making further changes”. Responses entered after the time limit expires will not be submitted
- “Allow the student to continue working, but automatically score the attempt as zero after an extended deadline” [not recommended]
- Special Access: enter information related to student accommodation requests. See also Granting Special Access
- NOTE: Consider Due Date, Availability (Start and End), and Timing carefully. E.g. if you want a quiz setup a quiz for a 50-minute typical lecture period, you would choose
- Due 2:50 PM – quizzes submitted after 2:50 PM will be flagged as late
- Start date: 2:00 PM – students can start the quiz at 2:00 or later
- End date: 3:00 PM – students can start the quiz up until 3:00
- Enforced time: 50 minutes with 5 minutes Grace
- On the Assessment page, connect the quiz results to your Brightspace Grade Book and set the number of Attempts Allowed and the Overall Grade Calculation. To associate a quiz with the Grade Book:
- Check Automatic Grade – this must be turned on to allow grades to be automatically sent to the Grade Book
- Under Grade Item, select the appropriate grade item. NOTE: It is a good idea to have your Grade Book created prior to creating the quiz
- Option: Auto Export to Grades. The system will send auto-graded attempt scores directly to the Grade Book if a quiz is associated with a grade item. Use this option if you are using questions that the system can auto-grade. Great for practice quizzes!
- Optional: on the Submission Views page, create a new submission view that will allow you to customize the feedback that students will see after the complete the quiz
- A key feature is that you can set the date and time of when students can see the feedback. For example, restrict feedback from appearing until 24 hours after the quiz is complete.
- Click Save and Close
Adding questions to the quiz
The following steps are used for creating questions directly in a quiz. If you are creating questions in the Question Library, start with step 3.
To add new quiz question, use the following steps:
- Click the edit drop down arrow next to the quiz
- On the Properties tab, click Add/Edit Questions
- Click New and choose the question type that you want to create.
- Click Save and add another question to the list of questions or, click Save and New to create another question without returning to the question list
- When all of the questions are created, click done Editing Questions
- Click Save and Close
Create a New Quiz with New Questions
Create a New Quiz with Imported Questions
Associate a Quiz with a Grade Item
Option 2: Start With the Question Library
You can start compile questions at any time, even before you create a quiz! Use the Question Library to create questions and organize them based on topic or module, type of question, or difficulty. This will enable you to create a quiz by importing the questions from the library or by randomly selecting questions from a pool of questions.
- Click Assessments – Quizzes – Question Library
- Create a new section and create questions in the section (this is for organization purposes) or directly in the question library. Using sections (folders) is recommended.
- Click Done Entering Questions
Import questions into a quiz
With your questions created in the Question Library, you can import them into a quiz. Create your quiz using the steps in Option 1 above but when you are ready to Add/Edit Questions, follow these steps:
- Click Import – Browse Question Library
- The Question Library will open – select the questions you want for your quiz and click Save. Click Add
- Click Save
- Click Done Editing Questions
Populate a Quiz with Questions from Question Library
Add a random pool of questions to a quiz
To create a random pool of questions from the Question Library for your quiz, create your quiz using the steps in Option 1 above but when you are ready to Add/Edit Questions, follow these steps:
- Click New – Question Pool
- Enter a name for the Question Pool
- Enter the number of questions that you want for the quiz and the point value for each question
- Click Browse Question Library and select the folder or folders that contain the questions you want to use for the Quiz. Click Add
- Click Save
- Click Done Editing Questions
You can edit the quiz properties and add/edit questions any time. Simply click the arrow next to the quiz and select Edit.
Create a New Quiz with A Randomized Set of Questions
Most questions such as True or False (T/F), Multiple Choice (MC), Multi-Select (M-S), Matching (MAT), and Ordering (ORD) have limited response options and are easily auto-graded. Written Response Questions (WR) are available but cannot be graded automatically.