Recording with Screencast-O-Matic
NOTE: If you are unable to launch Screencast-O-Matic on your computer, visit the Accessing the Software page in this resource and ensure that you have completed all the steps for downloading and installing the software.
You can access Screencast-O-Matic in one of two ways:
- through Brightspace (log in > in My Dashboard select Instructors > select Screencast-O-Matic > click the link provided), or
- by going directly to the Screencast-O-Matic: Memorial Recording page.
To access the full version of the software, you will be prompted to enter the Sceencast-O-Matic password generated for you when you requested an account through Memorial.
On the “Screencast-O-Matic: Memorial Recording” page, you will see three buttons that correspond to the main functions of the tool. Detailed information on each function is provided below the image.
1. Taking a screenshot
- On the Screencast-O-Matic page, select Take a Screenshot. This will open the Screencast-O-Matic web launcher.
- A pop-up window will appear asking: Ready to take a screenshot?
- Navigate to the window or application on your computer that you want to capture and click Ready.
- In a new pop-up window, you will be asked to select one of the following options:
- Click and Drag to take a screenshot of a specific part of the screen
- Cancel the process
- Press Enter to capture the entire screen.
- After you take a screenshot, a message will pop up saying that your image has been copied to the clipboard. You can now:
- paste the into a document by pressing Ctrl+V (#1 below)
- edit the image (#2 below)
- go to the Screencast-O-Matic folder where the image has been automatically saved.
2. Using the screen recorder
- On the Screencast-O-Matic page, select Launch the Recorder.
- The Screencast-O-Matic screen recorder will launch. In the image below, the main features of the screen recorder are marked with numbers. You can find information on what each number represents below the image.
- Select Screen if you want to record everything within the recording frame (dotted black-and-white frame).
- Select Webcam if you want to record only the video feed from your webcam.
- Select Both if you want to record the screen and the feed from your webcam in a small window on the screen.
- Max Time – use to set the maximum time for your recording (there is no time limit).
- Size – use to change the size of the recording frame. Note that you can also adjust the recording frame by dragging the sides or corners of the frame.
- Narration – use to select the microphone you want to choose for the recording (the default is the standard microphone on or connected to your computer).
- Computer audio – use if you want to enable recording sounds from your computer (this option is disabled by default).
- Preferences – use to personalize settings (e.g., to set up hotkeys or shortcuts to some of the popular controls).
- After you set your preferred options and are ready to start recording, click the red Rec button. A 3-2-1 countdown will begin. When recording starts, the black-and-white dotted frame around your recording area will change to red-and-white.
- You can pause the recording at any time by clicking the Pause button . When you pause, a bar will display with options to resume (click Rec), play, end (click Done), or delete the recording.
- When you have finished recording, click Done.
- You will now be asked to select one of two options: to Save/Upload or Edit Video.
- If you select Save/Upload, your recording will be saved to the Screencast-O-Matic folder and you will now be able to view it. After viewing the video, you can decide what to do next:
- save the recording on your computer (available formats are MP4, AVI, FLV, and GIF)
- edit the recording in the Screencast-O-Matic editor, or
- delete the recording and start over.
- If you select Edit Video, your recording will be saved in the Screencast-O-Matic folder and you will now be taken to the editing window. For information on editing using the Screencast-O-Matic Video Editor, please refer to the section below.
3. Editing an existing recording
- On the Screencast-O-Matic page, select Open the Video Editor. This will open the video manager.
- Select the video you want to edit. You can:
- choose a video you recorded using Screencast-O-Matic
- import a video from your computer
- connect to another platform (Zoom, Webex, or Microsoft Teams) to import a recording.
- When you select a video for editing, the Options box will appear at the bottom of screen. Select Edit.
- You will now get access to numerous editing features available in the Screencast-O-Matic video editor. Some of the features are:
- Adding captions (speech-to-text, typed by you, or from a file)
- Adding music (from the available selection or imported)
- Deleting segments of the recording
- and many, many more (for a complete list of editing tools, visit the Screencast-O-Matic site).
- When you have finished editing your video, click Done and your changes will be saved automatically.
- The Options box will pop up again. Click Save As and save the video file on your computer in one of the available formats: MP4, Avi or FLV.